by Patrick Reed
What is 10 minutes worth to you?
10 minutes might mean:
1. One extra “alarm-snooze” worth of sleep.
2. An extra coffee break during the day.
3. A satisfying spell to let your food settle at the end of a gourmet lunch.
4. An extra half-episode of your favorite TV show [read: waste of time!]…..
5. Time enough to write this blog post — okay not quite, but it sounds good:)
But 10 minutes can mean:
1. 10 miles trained at 1 minute slower pace per mile than usual during a long run. This translates into more miles possible over the long haul and less likelihood of injury in your training all the while.
2. 60 hours and 48 minutes of extra running over the course of a year – if added daily!
3. The difference between a world record and the 5,000th fastest marathon time ever. Japan’s Masato Imai’s 2:10:29 time — only 7:27 off of Geoffrey Mutai’s world best of 2:03:02 — is just the 2,293rd best run of all time!* 10 minutes is the difference between universes in distance running!
4. 100 sit-ups and 100 push-ups.
5. A new, better, stronger, more disciplined YOU!
What are you waiting for? Find 10 extra minutes and begin to instill universe-changing habits today!!
*Data provided by Peter Laarson at Alltime-Athletics.com
Here are some quotes about time for further reflection:
“There is no present or future, only the past, happening over and over again, now.”
“Time is money.”
“Time is a created thing. To say ‘I don’t have time’ is to say ‘I don’t want to.'”
“Time … thou ceaseless lackey to eternity.”
“Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.”
DOUGLAS ADAMS, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE, Richard II
“Each moment is the fruit of forty thousand years. The minute-winning days, like flies, buzz home to death, and every moment is a window on all time.”
THOMAS WOLFE, Look Homeward, Angel
“Time is, time was, but time shall be no more.”
JAMES JOYCE, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
image credits: pano.si